Jailbreak of iOS 5.0.1 has been out for awhile and now unlock has been released. So I thought I would gather the links you need to pull this off. If you are not sure about the difference between jailbreaking and unlocking your iphone, have a look at this iphone jailbreaking FAQ.
If you do not need to unlock your phone, follow this link and follow the instructions. Jailbreaking the iphone 5.0.1
Now, if you want to unlock your phone as well, make sure you use the preserve baseband method .
Something you will need to do is create a custom iOS ipsw file. I would recommend doing this regardless if you are unlocking or now. I included the instructions from iphone4jailbreak.org
Follow the tutorial below to create custom iOS 5.0.1 ipsw file and use it with Redsn0w 0.9.10b1 and PwnageTool to unlock your iPhone 4 using Ultrasn0w 1.2.5 available for free in Cydia. Unlock available for supported baseband only ( list at the bottom ) . This tutorial will also come in handy for Gevey Sim users who need to preserve their old baseband 04.10.01 for unlock .
Method 1 : Redsn0w Baseband Preservation Method
Steps to create custom iOS 5.0.1 ipsw and Unlock iPhone 4 – Redsn0w:
- Download Redsnow 0.9.10b1
- Download iOS 5.0.1 ipsw file
- Launch Redsn0w.exe app in “Administrator Mode” .
- Click Extras > Custom IPSW and select the iOS 5.0.1 ipsw file downloaded in Step 2
- Redsn0w will now create a custom ipsw file for your device and save it as “no_bb” as a prefix for the file name.
- Turn off your iPhone and use Redsnow > Extras > Pwned DFU to put your device in recovery mode
- Launch iTunes and press SHIFT + Restore and select the custom ipsw created in Step 5
- iTunes will upgrade your phone to iOS 5.0.1 preserving its baseband .
- Now follow the Redsn0w tutorial here to jailbreak your iPhone .
- After jailbreak is complete unlock your iPhone 4 , iPhone 3GS using Ultrasnow 1.2.5 .
Method 2 : PwnageTool Baseband Preservation Method
- Download PwnageTool for iOS 5.0.1
- Launch the application on your Mac and select your iOS device ( iPhone 4 in this case)
- Now PwnageTool will search and find your iOS firmware (iOS 5.0.1) . If it is unable to find the firmware , choose “Expert” mode and browse the ipsw file downloaded from Apple servers (link) .
- Now click on “Build” to create the custom IPSW for your device.
- Follow on-screen instructions to put your device in DFU mode (Pwned DFU) for restore with iTunes .
- Launch iTunes and select the custom ipsw file created by PwnageTool .
- To do this you have to press and hold Option + Restore button and select the custom firmware
- Itunes will now restore and jailbreak your device while also preserving its baseband for unlock with Ultrasn0w and Gevey Sim .
Note : The Ultrasnow 1.2.5 unlock works for the following supported basebands of iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS . iPhone 4S unlock is not available yet .