I use skype, not as much as in the past, but every now and again. Now truphone has brought in skype support. I can call skype people, skype’rs can call me and I can do IM. That’s all I need really. I’ve talked about truphone before (link) and VoiP in general for overseas calls (story about fring) so this is not a ‘break through’, but instead a logical extension of services.
When you read at the end of the email, they caution that although its free now, they may charge in the future. Fair enough. Just keep your eyes open as you use it. 😉
Set up was pretty easy, but make sure you are on wifi when you do it, it does take a bit for some reason.
Here is what I got from truphone today..
We are excited to announce that from today, Truphone for the and the can now let you stay in touch with all your Skype friends.
You can now:
- Instant Message (IM) your Skype contacts
- Make calls to Skype users on your contact list*
- Receive calls from other Skype users
It’s easy. You don’t need to update or download anything.
- Go to the IM screen in the iPhone application (the IM/More screen in the iPod touch application). If you cannot see this screen, select it from within the More screen.
- Select Skype (from the Setup screen)
- Sign in using your Skype account details
When you visit your ‘Friends List’ you will now see all of your Skype contacts and you will be ready to start.
If you are in Wi-Fi then all calls and instant messages will be completely FREE.
And for the iPhone application, even if you are not in Wi-Fi you can still make Skype calls and send Skype instant messages using Truphone Anywhere. We don’t charge anything for you to do this, but it will use your data package to connect the call or send the instant message.
We offer Skype on Truphone as a free service, and should this change in the future, we will let you know straight away.